Writing West Midlands would like financial situation not to be a barrier in developing your or your child’s love of writing. We are funded by Arts Council England to work in the West Midlands region to encourage and support writing in all its forms.
Writing West Midlands is able to offer some limited bursary places for:
- Spark Young Writers groups
- One-off courses, workshops, conferences and the Summer School run by Writing West Midlands
In order to receive a bursary, you must be living or studying in the West Midlands region.
If you are unsure which region you’re in, please see the TLC Free Reads guidance, which follows Arts Council funding.
In addition, you will normally:
- If you are applying for a child, the child would be eligible for Pupil Premium or Free School Meals
- If you are a student, you would normally benefit from extra financial support from your university or college
- Be in receipt of some form of Government assistance, for example Universal Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Working Tax Credits or Pension Credit.
Attendance at our groups matters. We reserve the right to remove you from our list if you miss three sessions in a row and to award another child in need the bursary.
Generally, we are able to offer one bursary per participant, per school year.
How To Apply
If you feel you would benefit from a bursary place, please either indicate your status on our registration form, or send a short paragraph of information about your circumstances to Emma Boniwell on firstname.lastname@example.org. We don’t require financial records nor any statement from a government agency but we will ask to see some form of proof of address of where you live or which school you attend (only required if you do not live in the West Midlands, but go to school in the West Midlands).
We will never share your information and once we have made a decision and let you know either way, we will destroy your application and won’t share your bursary information with anyone else.
We also won’t let anyone know you are in receipt of a bursary if you are awarded one.